Skip to main content
Open Main MenuClose Main Menu
When the University learns about the passing of a fellow cowboy we are sensitive in our response to be respectful to the family.

If you are made aware of the death of a student or employee, please notify the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs by calling (405) 744-5328.  


Communication with Family 

Soon after receiving confirmation of a student’s death, the Vice President for Student Affairs will contact the family to determine their wishes for sharing information, need for any campus services, and memorial planning. The Vice President for Student Affairs will serve as a liaison for family members inquiring about the students’ University matters such as financial aid/billing, housing, retrieval of personal belongings from campus housing, and posthumous degrees and certificate of achievement.  


Communication with Impacted Individuals 

The Vice President for Student Affairs office will also coordinate with other campus offices and academic affairs to notify faculty, roommates, and known students close to the deceased. 


University Email Notification 

To respect the family’s wishes for privacy, permission from the family will be obtained before sharing information via e-mail or on the remembrance website. 


After confirmation from the family, an email will be sent to students and employees sharing the news of the loss. In addition, the individual's name, major, and hometown will be posted in the Online Memorial webpage.


The university does not hold campus vigils for individuals but will support students and groups who desire to host a vigil. Alternatively, the university hosts an annual remembrance service.  


Posthumous Degrees and Certificates of Acknowledgement

A posthumous award will be considered if a student was in their final semester of study and had applied to graduate. If the student does not qualify for a posthumous degree, a certificate of acknowledgement may be awarded to honor the work the students had completed. Academic Affairs will assist in contacting the appropriate University officials to request a posthumous degree.


Back To Top
SVG directory not found.