Edmon Low Library
While the Edmon Low Library building has only been here since 1953, OSU has had a
library since the institution began. For several years the Library collection was
housed in various homes and office of the University faculty. It wasn't until 1894
that the Library found its first official home in Old Central, where the Library shared
a single room with the English department. Seven years later, Williams Hall was completed
and the Library moved to a room on the first floor. Its 1,610 square feet seemed spacious
at the time. Williams Hall was one of the first structures on campus to have electricity,
so students could now study in the evening. In 1921, the first building devoted solely
to the Library was completed. It was simply called the Library Building.
President Henry G. Bennett came to campus in 1928 and developed a Twenty-Five Year Plan for campus development. The plan called for the campus to center around a new Library. President Bennett worked closely with then Library Director Edmon Low to make the plans for the new Library a reality. In 1953, the Edmon Low Library, with its elegant Georgian style, opened and quickly became a focal point for campus pride.
Today, under the guidance of Dean of Libraries Sheila Grant Johnson, the OSU Library is building a reputation for embracing new technology while maintaining a foundation of quality service and is a member of the prestigious Association for Research Libraries.. The Creative Studios, located on the first floor, currently house high-powered Macs and PCs loaded with the popular Adobe software, a green screen-equipped recording studio, data visualization space, room-scale virtual reality and 3D printers. The Studios are also home to the Tech to Go Desk, with a constantly evolving list of checkout equipment. The building offers six floors of study space with 25 group study rooms available by reservation. The Library operates 24/5 during the fall and spring semesters.