Skip to main content

Adjustments to cost of attendance

As a student, you may request a cost of attendance adjustment to reflect a certain classification or benefit you are receiving. The costs must exceed what is in your current cost of attendance. To apply, submit a written request or email to our office after the third week of classes for the semester. You will need to include the semester you are requesting the adjustment for. See below for the different types of requests that are allowed by federal law and the documentation requested.


  • Actual tuition and fees: If your tuition and fees are higher than the amount figured within the Cost of Attendance, you can request for an adjustment based on your actual tuition and fees. 
  • Actual books and supplies: You will need to include documentation from your professor of the class to confirm the required book/supply costs and receipt of these expenses.
  • Commuter/travel: These costs must be required for your classes. To request, please contact our office. 
  • Vet Med students: These costs may include commuting from outside of the Stillwater or Tulsa campuses to respective classes at the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine. As a 4th year student on clinical rotations, we have included travel costs in your estimated cost of attendance.
  • Dependent care: The term "dependent" applies not only to children, but can include an elderly or disabled adult (including the student's spouse). To qualify, the dependent must be included in the student's household size on the FAFSA. These costs can be included when not covered by other sources. Complete the: 
  • Medical/dental expenses: You will need to provide statement(s) from medical professionals regarding required treatment as well as copies of invoices, medical bills, prescription receipts, etc.
    • Costs must occur during the academic year the student is requesting the cost of attendance adjustment.
    • Costs must be for the student only (not spouse, parent, or other dependent)
    • Costs are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  • Computer: This is a generally a one-time request per degree. The maximum allowable costs may vary based on the program of study and requirements for a personal computer. To request, please contact our office. This request can be done before the 3rd week of the semester. In general, the maximum allowable increase is $1000. Some exceptions:
    • Architecture: maximum allowable increase is $2700
    • Art with a concentration in Graphic Design: maximum allowable increase is $4400
    • College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology majors: maximum allowable increase is $2400
    • Any other program that requires costs above the $1000 maximum not listed here must be documented by the department, and included with the student's request.
  • Professional Pilot flight lab increase: Within your statement, you will need to include which flight labs you are enrolled in for that semester. You cannot receive an increase for flight labs that you are finishing up as an incomplete. You MUST be considered in the Professional Pilot concentration by the Office of the Registrar.
Back To Top
SVG directory not found.