- Thesis - 6 credit hours
- 30 hours minimum of graduate level course work in two fields of study (major field and minor field)
- 12 hours of seminar (including at least one research seminar)
- Historical Methods (HIST 5023)
- Students working in European or World History must demonstrate a reading knowledge of a foreign language
Research and Faculty
We are a vibrant department with outstanding graduate faculty whose research expertise spans the globe. We offer exceptional graduate mentorship and strong support for our students, including travel for conferences and research. In addition, we provide competitive graduate assistantships that give our students valuable classroom experience.
- Progress toward proficiency in foreign language
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of intent
- Writing sample
- GRE (verbal, quantitative, analytical)
GRE required (no minimum scores)
February 1 (for funding consideration)
Cost & Assistance
OSU and the Stillwater community in general are especially affordable places for graduate students. We offer competitive graduate assistantships for both MA and PhD students. MA students are considered for two-year funding packages, and PhD students are considered for five-year funding packages. Our graduate assistantships provide a tuition waiver, health insurance and a monthly stipend that is competitive among Big 12 and other peer institutions. We also offer annual scholarships, fellowships, grants and paper prizes for both MA and PhD students, which provide significant extra financial support for research and conference travel.