- Ninety total credit hours of coursework beyond a bachelor's degree or 60 hours of coursework beyond a master's degree
- Fifteen hours of core coursework (courses vary depending on degree specialization)
- Complete preliminary research project
- Pass qualifying exam
- Completion of dissertation
- Graduate GPA of at least 3.0
Choose from Analysis, Commutative Algebra, Lie Theory/Representational Theory, Math Education, Number Theory, Numerical Analysis, Partial Differential Equations, and Topology.
Research and Faculty
Oklahoma State employs internationally renowned faculty with a long-standing tradition of excellence in research and teaching. The Department of Mathematics maintains a supportive and friendly environment in which you can reach your fullest potential. Our facilities, located in the Mathematical Sciences building, include a state-of-the-art 3D printing lab and recently remodeled classrooms equipped with the latest technology.
- Personal statement
- Names and email addresses of three references
- Curriculum vitae or resumé (consider including a list of math courses taken and associated textbooks used)
- GRE preferred, but not required
- TOEFL scores required for international applicants who aren't native English speakers
- Speaking section of TOEFL-iBT should be taken if applying for assistantship
- February 1 (fall admission)
- October 1 (spring admission)
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Deadlines are for full consideration.
Cost & Assistance
Financial assistance is available for teaching and research. This primarily comes in the form of teaching assistantships, but some advanced students receive support from faculty grants. A teaching assistantship includes a waiver of both resident and non-resident tuition for eligible credit hours during the academic year. Currently, stipends for the academic year (nine months) range from $18,261 to $21,222. Stipend enhancements are available for outstanding applicants. Stipends for summer support are available for some teaching assistants. A teaching assistantship also includes health insurance.
Fellowships are also available for M.S. students, with preference given to those who plan to pursue a Ph.D. In addition, the department gives a number of monetary awards each year for outstanding academic achievement and for excellent teaching.