- About OSU
News and Information
- Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
- Arts and Sciences
- Business, Spears School
- Education, Health and Aviation
- Engineering, Architecture and Technology
- Human Sciences
- Center for Veterinary Health Sciences
- Graduate College
- Honors College
- School of Global Studies and Partnerships
- College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Faculty / Staff
- Student Life
- Future Students
- Apply Now
Rising from the plains of Oklahoma is a destination for scholars, thinkers, dreamers, and doers
About Oklahoma State University
Oklahoma State University’s main campus is located about 60 miles from both Oklahoma City and Tulsa in the city of Stillwater. OSU serves as a premier land-grant university with branch campuses in Tulsa, Oklahoma City and Okmulgee.
The university’s rich history began Christmas Eve 1890, when Territorial Governor George W. Steele signed legislation providing for the establishment of an agricultural and mechanical college and an agricultural experiment station in Payne County. The next day, Christmas, Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College began. There were no books, no tuition, no buildings or curriculum. Now, under the leadership of brilliant past presidents and the current university president, Burns Hargis, Oklahoma State University boasts more than 260,000 degrees conferred at one of the most beautiful and affordable universities in the nation.
Check out our timeline for more history.
An OSU Education is a Great Value
Higher education is a powerful economic driver for the state of Oklahoma, with the potential for even greater impact.
- OSU is named to a variety of national lists for its value; for instance, Princeton Review selected OSU for providing students the “best bang for their tuition buck.”
- OSU has partially offset decreased state funding with record enrollment and record fundraising.
- OSU has remained diligent in managing and reducing costs, while continuing to offer great value.
- Student Investment
- Did you know nearly 50% of OSU students graduate with no debt? The average amount is $22,591, well below the national average and the lowest in the Big 12.
Learn more about the impact higher education can make in your life and the lives of others.
Did You Know?
- OSU hosts students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries.
- More than half of OSU students graduate with zero student loan debt.
- OSU is Oklahoma's first Truman Honor Institution due to its number of Truman Scholars.
- OSU's Pistol Pete has been voted the best mascot in both pro and collegiate sports.
- The OSU Student Union is the largest comprehensive university union in the world.
- Edmon Low Library is one of the top 100 academic research libraries in the U.S. with more than 2 million volumes.
- OSU’s Unmanned Aerial Systems is ranked No. 2 in the country by Successful Student.
- OSU is the first major American university to offer an executive Ph.D. in business.
1988 Heisman Trophy Winner and 2004 Hall of Fame
Award-winning Native American artist
T. Boone Pickens
Chairman of BP Capital Management
Country music superstar