Tips for Creating a Powerful Essay
OSU is seeking students who will be active citizens and future leaders who will make a positive, meaningful and enduring difference to the world. We look beyond your GPA and test score to see what experiences have shaped you and what drives you to be successful.
Use these tips to craft your own powerful essay response so we can learn more about what makes you a leader and scholar.
- Make it personal and be original. Be honest and authentic in your responses. Don't be afraid to discuss struggles or hardships that have led you to this point.
- Demonstrate passion. Tell us what excites you. We love that our students are passionate about a variety of subjects and interests.
- Write about what you know. You are the expert on you! Use anecdotes and personal experiences to frame your essay responses.
- Take your time. It's important to take your time completing your essay responses. You may submit your application and submit your essays online at a later date. You will be prompted to log in to your application account.
- Edit and spell check. After you've written your essay responses, make sure to reread and review with a fresh set of eyes to make sure you're presenting yourself in the best manner possible for admission and scholarship consideration.